For my birthday today, a little gift for you... the requested tutorial for the patchwork notecards I made a couple of weeks ago.
*Selection of fabric strips from 1" to 2" (all my pieces are 2.5" from another project, I'll be cutting them down as I work through the project)
*Foundation fabric 6" x 8"
*Plain notecard (I bought a package on sale at the local arts & crafts store)
*Optional: glue stick
1. Place your first piece (right side up) covering a corner of the base fabric.
2. Place your second piece (right side down) over your first piece, matching raw edges. Stitch 1/4" seam along the raw edges.
3. Flip second piece right side up, and iron in place.
4. Repeat until foundation fabric is fully covered. If your bottom piece is too big, place the next piece up a little rather than alligning raw edges. Once you've stitched the seam, trim off any excess (just be sure to not cut through your foundation fabric.)
5. Your block should now look something like this:
Trim all stitched pieces even with the foundation fabric.
6. Cut your block into 4 pieces.
7. Stitch your mini-blocks to the front of a plain notecard. I use a touch of glue stick to hold the piece in place, and stitch 1/8" from the edge with a long stitch length.