I've been in the process of clearing out some of my fabric stash. I love everything in it, but let's be real... the amount of fabric I have compared to the amount of time I have to sew are not anywhere close to being the same. And with Megan almost 7 now, I figured she'd be waning on her interest in Dr. Seuss so I was planning to put my (substantial) collection up for sale. I had a pile of fabrics on my cutting table getting ready to measure, photograph, and list them all when Megan walked in and literally gasped.
So a Dr. Seuss quilt quickly jumped to the top of my to-do list. Megan and I spent a lot of time together looking at the fabrics and reviewing quilt patterns. We wanted a pattern that used a good selection of the fabrics we had and also used big pieces. We ended up picking a pattern called Meadow Blocks by Carlene Westberg. Years ago I bought some fabric from Carlene and she had added a copy of the pattern with my order.
The pattern goes together REALLY fast! My only complaint... some of my fabrics were directional, and the way some of the pieces were cut would have caused my pieces to be sideways. It might not bother some, but I didn't want sideways text prints. But since I had more than a Fat Quarter of most prints, it wasn't a problem for me to cut the directional prints different than the pattern directions.
And I'm happy to say that Megan LOVES this quilt. She has had it on her bed for two weeks now. She hasn't even let me give it an initial wash & dry to get it good and crinkly.
Fabric: Dr. Seuss collection by Robert Kaufman
Pattern: Meadow Blocks by Carlene Westberg
Size: 64" x 72"
Pieced and Quilted by me
Link to ALYoF goal here
The Michael Miller Challenge is over and done... the winners have been announced... and I'm just now getting around to posting my project. Yep, I also missed the deadline for entering the challenge, even though my project was done and photographed... that's just how life has been lately.
I admit, I stared at these fabrics for a LONG time without a single idea popping into my head. And it wasn't because I didn't like the fabrics... I have some of them in my stash. But once the idea finally came to me I whipped this up quickly. And I followed it up with two more that I gifted to members of my Handmade Birthday group.
Strip quilts always throw me off in the amount of fabric they consume. As I was cutting strips from the six fat-eights we received I just KNEW there would be enough strips for a couple of pillows. But one 18" pillow later and all I had left was a few scraps.
I took some pictures as I made my next two pillows, and I'll post those with a short tutorial soon.
Sometimes all you need is the right motivation to get a project finished.
I started this quilt at The Stash Bash (2013) and finished it up at my guild's retreat a couple weekends later. I even ordered backing and binding shortly after the quilt top was completed. And then it sat... just waiting to be quilted.
For the last month's Houston Modern Quilt Guild meeting we were going to have a workshop rather than a traditional meeting. I knew I wanted to go for at least part of the day... show and tell, mini quilt swap, and Michael Miller challenge reveals were going to happen at the lunch break, plus it is always fun just hanging out with my buddies. I didn't want to make the quilt being demonstrated (we were making the Scrappy Trip Along, which I've already made), but I also didn't want to sit and do nothing for a couple of hours. If only I had a quilt that needed the binding stitched down...
A quick load onto the Handiquilter, and my trusty meander, and I had a quilt top ready for binding within a couple of hours. Not to bad! And that quilt backing... LOVE!! One of those fabrics I wish I had bolts of stashed away.
A few quick thoughts on the pattern: Cluck Cluck Sew patterns are well written and go together easily. If I was going to make this pattern again, I think I would piece it in columns (with a long sashing strip between the columns) rather than rows. I'm a die-hard 'press the seam to the side' quilter which caused some bumpy-lumpy seams... the seam on the arrow pointing up wanted to go in one direction, while the seam on the arrow pointing down wanted to go in the other direction. Not a huge deal, but just a little annoyance that a different construction would solve. Quilt Details
Fabric: PB&J by Basic Grey and Moda Bella solid
Pattern: Pow Wow by Cluck Cluck Sew
Size: 55" x 68"